Our Current Mission Efforts
Wayne Barrier and family
This work is under the oversight of the Double Springs Church of Christ. The work takes place primarily in Southeast Asia and reaches out to China, Vietnam, Myanmar (Burma), the Philippines, India, SirLanka, and Nepal. In addition to teaching individuals and establishing churches, they also establish Preachers and Religious Training Schools.
Lima, Peru Missions: (Florencio Nunez, local missionary)
The Joey Derr Family and Ron Lumpkins make regular visits. Woodlawn began working with the churches in Lima, Peru in1999 when Joey and Laura Beth Derr went to Peru as part of a “Let’s Start Talking” team. Since that time, Joey and Laura have led groups to Lima from our congregation as well as other local congregations.The church we work with is primarily in the district of Santo Domingo. God has blessed these congregations with continuous growth over the years in which we have provided support.We also provide an opportunity for any of our members to “get their feet on the ground,”. Led by Ron Lumpkins, several of our members have traveled to Peru to work with our mission work taking place there. These opportunities are also available through groups led by the Joey Derr family (Chisholm Hill Church of Christ). If you are interested, contact either one of these groups for the next planed mission trip. The congregation has made continuous growth in the area and is one of a very few in which Elders are in place.
Africa-(Ivory Coast)-Isaac Gnohou:
Woodlawn is currently the overseeing congregation for Isaac Gnohou and his family as they serve in the Ivory Coast.
Currently, Woodlawn also supports Gijs Bardoel in his work in the Netherlands.
Panama (John Henry):
This work is overseen by the Salem Church Of Christ and takes place primarily in the Districts of Platanilla and El Tirao. John Henry, a member of Salem, visits the area several times each year. His primary outreach is helping the members to provide and improve their meeting places. He, along with his wife, also help to educate the men and women in ways in which they can improve their economic conditions.
North Alabama Christian Children’s Home
Woodlawn works with other Churches of Christ in the area to provide love, care, guidance, and housing for children in the area who are assigned to one of the four homes by DHR. All the house parents are faithful Christians who worship with congregations in the area. The home is governed by a board of directors who are made up of faithful members of the Shoals Area Congregations and the current director is Don Williams.
Mars Hill Bible School Bible Program
Woodlawn provides monthly support to Mars Hill Bible School to help provide Bible teachers who help with daily Bible classes, chapel, “Middle School Life Day “and the annual “Life Retreat” (a spiritual retreat for the High School) held at Maywood Christian Camp. Matt Heupel is responsible for selecting the Bible teachers in grades 7-12. He also works with the teachers and administration in coordinating the plans for classes. Justin Spann also teaches some of the Bible classes.
The Hispanic Ministry at Chisholm Hills Church of Christ
Woodlawn supports the work directed by Jesus Gallardo, the minister at Iglesia de Cristo which meets at Chisholm Hills.
Jesus is a native of Lima, Peru. Not only does he work with the members of the Hispanic church, but he also works actively in helping to meet the needs of the Shoals Hispanic community. He oversees an after-school program, (R.O.C.K.S.) which meets on Wednesday to provide help with homework and the spiritual needs of the youth.
University of North Alabama Christian Student Center
Woodlawn, along with other congregations in the area, has been involved in this ministry for several years. Under the direction of Josh Webster, it continues to have a positive influence on the lives of the many young men and women who participate in the activities of the Student Center. We encourage our members who attend UNA to become active participants of the center. Woodlawn also contributes quarterly to “Manna at Noon”, an outreach effort that provides for meals for the students who attend the university. Woodlawn’s youth group works with the Christian Student Center (CSC) to help provide Christmas items for children in the Shoals Area who have a parent who is incarcerated during the Christmas season.
Church of Christ Disaster Relief Effort
This organization is based in Nashville, Tennessee, and provides funds and supplies to victims of disasters that take place throughout the United States as they need assistance. This may be due to hurricanes, fires, floods, and other disasters which may require emergency help. This help includes such things as baby supplies, clothing, cleaning products, water, food, appliances, bedding, and other items that are needed.
Other Evangelist Work
- THIRTY-ONE DAYS OF Encouragement: Woodlawn hosted and produced mini-lessons by area preachers, youth ministers, or other religious speakers from area Churches of Christ this summer. These lessons were live-streamed and are available for viewing on our website and other websites in the area.
- “That Thou Might Believe” John 20:30-31. A fifteen lesson, Bible Study on the link between signs, belief, hour, glory and ‘I Am’ Statements in the gospel of John. This series was written by Ron Lumpkins and is provided free of charge to all who choose to download the series. If you would like to download the material or if you have any questions please send an email to email@example.com. A workbook on the material is available for $10.00 to cover the cost of printing, shipping, etc., and can be paid through PayPal.
- “The Home Devo” is a daily devotional provided by Matt Heupel and other members of our congregation.These devotionals are available online and you can subscribe to them. Hard copies of these lessons are also provided each week for those who do not have internet capabilities or who prefer a written copy.
- World Bible School (Eddie Garrett-coordinator)
- Woodlawn considers special requests made by locals seeking funds for mission trips, with preference made to our members first.